Beginning and times
When does what begin?
- Morgenstreich: 4 am
- The Big Procession: 1:30 pm until 6 pm
- Lanterns display: From 8 pm
- Wagons and props display: From 8 pm
- Children’s Fasnacht: City centre closed from 1 pm
- ‘Gugge Music’ procession: 6:30 pm
- ‘Gugge Music’ concerts: From 7:30 pm
- The Big Procession: 1:30 pm until 6 pm
Accommodation and hotels
Where is the best place to stay?
baselfasnacht.info recommends to spend the night outside the city centre. It is allowed to make music throughout for 72 hours. From Monday morning 4 am to the following Thursday morning 4 am. We therefore suggest the following hotels, from which the city centre can be reached by foot in a short time.
- ibis Styles Basel City 15-20 minutes walk to Barfüsserplatz.
- ibis Basel Bahnhof 10-15 minutes walk to Barfüsserplatz.
- Steinenschanze Stadthotel 5 minutes walk to Barfüsserplatz. 10 minutes walk to Rümelinsplatz. 10 minutes walk to Marktplatz.
- Nomad Design & Lifestyle Hotel 5 minutes walk to Barfüsserplatz.
- Radisson Blu, Basel 5 minutes walk to Barfüsserplatz.
- Hotel Spalentor 5-10 minutes walk to Rümelinsplatz. 10 minutes walk to Marktplatz.
Getting to the Morgenstreich by coach
We are joining the Morgenstreich with a travel group and are travelling by coach. Where is a suitable place to get off?
The closest places to get off to the city centre of Grossbasel are Dufourstrasse, Petersgraben and Gartenstrasse. Further information can be found on the following websites:
Getting to the Morgenstreich by taxi
I will take a cab to get into the city. Where do I get off best?
The closest places to get off to the city centre of Grossbasel are
- Blumenrain to Schifflände / Marktplatz
- Auf der Lyss / Leonhardsgraben to Spalenberg / Rümelinsplatz
- St. Alban-Graben to Barfüsserplatz, Freie Strasse, Münsterplatz
- Leonhardsgraben / Musikakademie to Barfüsserplatz
- Theaterstrasse to Barfüsserplatz
Where is the best place for handicapped people to see the Big Procession?
The places reserved for handicapped people can be found at Claraplatz as indicated on the Fasnacht Committee's itinerary. For reservations please contact the Fasnacht committee. In addition grandstands can be found in Riehenstrasse.
Where can I join the Schnitzelbänke?
On Monday and Wednesday evenings ‘Schnitzelbänke’ can be seen in the official venues. These are indicated on the website of the Fasnacht Committee. The best is to reserve a table in a restaurant in time. If you want to see the Schnitzelbank soiree of the ‘Comité-Schnitzelbänke’ in the Theater or in the playhouse please reserve at the Theater Basel. Further Informatonen you will find on the website of the Schnitzelbank Commitee. On Tuesday evening ‘Schnitzelbänke’ can be seen in restaurants and hang out spots called ‘Cliquenkeller’.
Sales stand for food and drinks
Where can I apply for a food stand?
baslerfasnacht.info is not an officially authorized organization. You can apply for a permission at the canton's public administration.
Foreign artists and bands
I am an artist/We are a Band from abroad and would like to join the Festival. Where can I/we apply?
The Basel Fasnacht is less suitable for foreign participants as it is a very traditional and a rather self-contained event.
Photos and images
Can you provide us high resolution professional images of the carnival?
baslerfasnacht.info has no pictures of its own. On Google Drive you can download a small selection of pictures. For the commercial use and publication of these pictures the permission of the author projectphoto.ch must be obtained.
Use of illustrations
Can I use the illustrations from baslerfasnacht.info?
You may use the illustrations from baslerfasnacht.info for private purposes (decorations etc.) without permission. If you publish the illustrations on a website the source must be cited. The use of the illustrations for commercial purposes is not permitted as they are automatically protected by copyright. Information on copyright can be found on the website of the Swiss Federal Institute of Intellectual Property.